Wednesday, April 11, 2012

"Shitty First Drafts" - Anne Lamott

Writer Ann Lamott claims that not one single writer sits down and feels like a million bucks.  The first draft is a "child's draft, where you let it all pour out and then let it romp all over the place, knowing that no one is going to see it and that you can shape it later." (Lamott 2)  She was a writer for food reviews and she would constantly dread writing reviews and would have to force herself to start writing.  She always starts off with shitty first drafts full of her random thoughts and improves them later.  She claims she has to constantly keep her imaginary ravenous dogs that keep her from writing contained so she could start writing.
Writing can be a pain.  I constantly struggle to find any words to put on paper.  My mind constantly runs in different directions and I would actually have to tell myself things that could be worse than writing.  I thought it was interesting when Lamott talked about her experience at the hypnotist.  I will consider trying the mouse in a jar technique before I begin writing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment