Monday, April 23, 2012

"Whose Standard"

 "Teaching Standard English: Whose Standard" is an essay written by Linda Christensen about how kids should be taught to write. Christensen says that many children are cautious about incorporating their own thoughts and ideas in their writing, because they grow up being told they are wrong. Christensen continues to talk about her ninth grade writing class where the teacher had the students write about things in their lives and problems they were currently facing. This aloud the students to get their ideas out in writing without worrying about being told they're wrong. This exercise acted as a great confidence builder for the students. I personally don't have trouble expressing myself in writing, because my writing background is based in creative writing. This being said, I see myself as the exception. I have witnessed what Christensen is talking about plenty of times.

No comments:

Post a Comment