Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Response to "The Story of a Suicide" Part 2

The second half of this article is more in depth and intense than the first half. It explains the awkward interactions that Dharun and Tyler had as roommates as well as the intimate conversations had between the two boys and their friends. It brings to light the actual incident of the web cam in the dorm room, and also showed how Molly Wei is involved in the case. And finally it tells of Tyler's last days. His interactions and the way that outward looks can be deceiving.
This part of the article was such an interesting read for me. It was interesting because of its flow, it read the way a good book does, continuously building up gaining momentum until the climax, which is the death of a young boy. It solidified the authors bias against Dharun Ravi as being a complete and total ass. Which I completely agree with. The article presents a lot of evidence for this case, and even though it isn't all of the evidence, and it is largely in favor of the Clementi's, I completely agree with the author. At the beginning of the article I had many doubts as to whether or not Dharun's involvement was a main cause for Tyler's choice. However, after reading the second half, and seeing the severity of the harassment that Dharun put Tyler through, I can't help but side with the Clementi's in wanting some kind of justice. I am not saying that I think Dharun is the only reason for Tyler's suicide, as I still think he may have some kind of pressure from his families reaction to his coming out, but I definitely think that Dharuns behavior was the straw that broke the camels back.

No comments:

Post a Comment