Thursday, March 29, 2012

Response to Roy Peter Clark

Clark uses an open-form article to discuss how the enforcement of writing is misconstrued.  He points out that teachers often use writing as a form of punishment but fail to see the negative consequences it has on the students' attitudes about writing.  He suggests that the reasons for using writing as a form of punishment is that "it is easy to control, it creates the illusion of an educational and counseling purpose, and it seems a humane alternative to suspension or paddling (Clark 9)."  He also points out that the "fear of writing... is related to low self-concept and low self-confidence (Clark 10)."
I believe Clark is correct about the negative consequences of using writing as a form of punishment.  All my teachers in the past have not discussed writing as an enjoyable activity.  They handed out our assignments, told us about the topic and length of the paper and that was the end of it.  Some of them showed their enthusiasm towards writing but they didn't pass the enthusiasm onto us.  However, I've had great experiences with peer review groups.  The fact that others will read your article forces you to pay closer attention to what you write about.     

1 comment:

  1. I was really saddened when I read this in your response "Some of them showed their enthusiasm towards writing but they didn't pass the enthusiasm onto us." I would be very much interested on how you think teachers can do this. I know personally that I am that enthusiastic teacher, but I guess now I am afraid that my students walk away not knowing _what_ to be enthusiastic about.

    On a happier note, I am glad that you've had wonderful experience in peer groups. That is something I emphasize in this class, but more on that later.

    ReplyDelete