Thursday, March 29, 2012

The Discourse of Academics

I found this article very interesting, now that I think about it I can tell the way I talk to a teacher or professor is different that how I would approach a fellow student with the same issue. I had a good relationship with some of my teachers and when I would talk to them as a friend it would be different that if I talked to them in class. I feel lost in some classes that imply that I should know some prerec material that I never learned. Today in class was a good example, when we did math problems, I felt extremely comfortable answering those questions being an engineering major, but I wouldn't necessarily be comfortable answering a english questions that I didn't know. I like how he uses the example of religion, when you're raised a certain religion and brought into a community with multiple cultures it might be intimidating.

As said in class today, Rose's method of ending the piece with a question really made me think over the whole article and question it in my own life. Overall this was a good article, it really had me thinking of all the different ways I talk to different groups of people, and I appreciate that this is getting brought up in class because I feel like I'm on the same page as everyone.

1 comment:

  1. Sometimes we don't think about why we were introduced to some ideas and skills and some not, which is why math is a good example. Not everyone is expected to learn even basic calculus, but depending on their profession, they might have to -- maybe even go beyond that.

    Do you think teachers, text books, even peers use this lingo on purpose? I like to think that they don't, but there is also a kind of power maintained by keeping that lingo confined within a particular group. One example I can think of is the publication of the vulgate Bible -- or the Bible _not_ in Latin, but in translation. A lot more people had access to that theology.

    ReplyDelete