Thursday, March 29, 2012

The Discourse of Academics Response

I thought that this article wasn't going to be as interesting as it was. The more I got into it, I realized how true it is that we converse with our professors and teachers so differently from our friends. We use a different vernacular, and when we speak to our elders, we tend to try to expand our vocabulary. I never thought about the way I speak compared to others in terms of the different educations that we received in school. I think about how I understand something right off the bat, or I can relate to something really well, but how someone else can be so lost and confused  by something I may view as "simple" and vice versa.

1 comment:

  1. Rose's article sees "privilege" as a class indicator, and primarily this is true. But I think privilege does not have to be limited to class, because I know there are just some schools -- underprivileged as they are -- that push for excellence on par with "privileged" schools.

    Our interaction with specific discourses, however, is also greatly dependent on the contexts that we immerse ourselves in. For example, when my guy friends talk about Call of Duty MW3, I usually zone out, because that discussion is inaccessible to me. When I talk about writing, they zone _me_ out because they think they are not equipped with the lingo to talk about writing.

    ReplyDelete