Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Response to The Discourse of Academics

 The Discourse of Academics written by Mike Rose, is an article discussing about underprepared students. This is an issue in our society and a reason why some students don't understand or feel comfortable with class material being taught in schools due to unfamiliar language. I've experienced this my first year in college. I, at times struggle when I  hear words I dont't understand or don't hear often, which may throw me off an discussion.
 Teacher's can play a part in this problem by influential talk and helping student's feel more comfortable. With this student's are more likely to be included in discussions, as Rose mentions. It's a way that all can understand and not just a majority of a class. "Students need more opportunities to write about what they're learning and guidance in the techniques and conventions of that writing." (Rose 138) I agree with this and I believe it should be taught or developed at a younger age, which could help the students to understand language and become more comfortable or engaged  in conversations.
 Overall, I liked this article. It had some important information  and discussed ways that this problem can be worked on. This is an issue and would be great if addressed in today's society.

1 comment:

  1. I have been "speaking in my discipline" for a few years now, but like you, I still feel excluded at times. I do not think that teachers or text books or articles are using that language necessarily to make me feel like I do not belong, but that is the effect nonetheless.

    I hope that you will find over time that practice helps to get used to any discourse. Just like math, which is a language of its own, writing for the academy is a matter of knowing what the rules are and how to apply them.

    ReplyDelete