Thursday, March 29, 2012

Response: Roy Clark


In Clarks opening sequence I wasn't quite sure where he was going with the whole fifth grade girls understanding Shakespeare miracle. Don't get me wrong, it was great, and good on them, it just didn't seem to connect to me. After those paragraphs were finished, and he started the discussion of writing as punishment, it became more clear to me how it all ties together. I am firm believer that writing should not be used as a form of punishment, writing is fun and expressive, not a torture device. With that in mind it was easy to see what he meant by bad memories being associated with the things we were doing as they happened. As I thought more about the reading I saw the same thing but flipped. On the opposite side of things, good memories are associated with good things we were doing at the time. I liked his message about encouraging and helping students at a young age to appreciate literature, and just writing in general. It builds a foundation for literary skills that will be needed all throughout their lives.


1 comment:

  1. I agree that I felt a bit lost at the beginning of Clark's essay. I thought he was going to suggest that the students moved on to write plays a la Shakespeare (and maybe they did!) but the article did not go that way.

    I would like to hear more about what positive memories we can associate with writing. I don't think we hear a lot of those, and maybe you can talk about some of them in class.

    ReplyDelete