Wednesday, March 28, 2012

The Discourse of Academics

      The Discourse of Academics, by Mike Rose, is a article that presents problems of today. A lot of students today are completely lost in classes because of the language spoken throughout the class. Students are beginning to learn less and less because of the language presented in class, textbooks, etc. If students become more familiar with the vocabulary and language presented in class then they would have a better understanding of the material. Also, a lot of students do not participate in class discussions which make them even more confused, and sometimes even excluded.
      I loved the fact that Rose talked about his own personal encounter about the topic and expressed how he felt. I personally can't completely relate to the topic of feeling excluded, only because I always interact in class and make sure that I ask plenty of questions when I don't understand something. I think that learning has a lot to do with the environment you're in also. I say this because I feel like if students feel comfortable in the environment they are in then they may feel more comfortable to participate in class discussions which can further their understanding of the language going on in class among students, or with discussions led by the teacher. 
      Overall, I think this article was specifically directed to teachers. I think that everything starts out with the teacher. It is the teachers job to make sure every student fully understands material and to make the students feel welcomed and involved in the class so they can participate more to further their understanding of all material and discussions presented to the class.









1 comment:

  1. I am glad that you always try to participate in class. I think one of the points that Rose makes is that participation -- or, practice -- is key to being successful and joining the professional community you want to which you will belong.

    I also agree that the text seems to be directed at teachers. They seem to be the people with the ability to enforce change and make sure that students from all backgrounds are able to participate in the discourse of academics.

    ReplyDelete