Tuesday, May 8, 2012

"A Plagiarism Pentimento"

This reading was about something called "patch writing." I fully agree with Moore when she states that what is called plagiarism today is simply a summary used with different words. I have always found it hard to create a summary after reading an exert. I usually switch up some words, while also using what I remember to create a summary. I don't think something can be called plagiarism if it is not restated word for word. Students should not be punished for trying to figure out new ways to say things or a new form of language to relate to. Instead they should be noticed for taking an interest or an attempt to restate what they read, regardless if the sentence means the same thing, what really counts is that they didn't use the exact same words in the exact same way. I honestly believe that sometimes there is only one way to write something to get the point across, well one meaning. But, there are many ways to rewrite that meaning without it being considered plagiarism.

No comments:

Post a Comment