Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Model of Argument

The toulmin model works best for non-established issues.  The simple components are claims, data, and warrant.  If the simple components don't fully explain the argument, then there are three additional parts: backing, rebuttal, and qualifier.  The rogerian model is used to find common ground.  It provides ways of finding commonality with the use of neutral statements from writer's and opponent's views, the analysis of common values, and the proposal that respects both viewpoints.
These two models will serve well to help me expand my arguments.  They will help me see what the opposing viewpoints are and what the common ground is.  I'm glad the article provides examples of each or else I would not understand how to use these models.

No comments:

Post a Comment