Thursday, May 17, 2012

Models of Argument

The Toulmin Model, is best used in an essay regarding an argument, which has no absolute truth at the moment. There are three basic components of the model and they are claims, data, and warrants. These three components are pretty self-explanatory, but cannot also be used sufficiently by themselves. This is why there are three additional components, backing, rebuttal, and qualifier. Backing is what supports the warrant. Rebuttal is the anticipated objections of the opposing views. Qualifier is the language that qualifies the claim to close the argument. This model really has helped me to view actually what my argument for essay three should consist of. Also I learned how to slightly alter components in my essay to give extra back up evidence and things to help improve my essay.

No comments:

Post a Comment